Do you know that the average rate of extinction of animal species is 1 to 5 species every single year? What’s more, this rate of extinction is projected to double by the end of the century if nothing is done.
Even though we aren’t the same as the rest of the animal species, thanks to superior intelligence and all, the alarming rates at which life on earth’s dissipating does pose an interesting question: just what do we need to survive?
Getting down to bare basics, it’s relatively easy to determine the artificial and natural resources essential for our survival. Thanks to extensive scientific research into this area, we have an extensive understanding of just how far the human body can go with and without various resources.
Without further ado, let’s delve into the collection of resources necessary to sustain our everyday lives.
What Do We Need to Survive?
In extreme conditions and difficult times, the human body can, on average last:
These values may go up or down, depending on the presence or absence of one resource. For example, someone living in a comfortable environment and has access to resource types like clean water and air but no food can last a month or even more.
All of this gives us a clear insight into the crucial role that certain resource types play in ensuring our good health and longevity of life on earth.
Even though a wide range of man-made and natural resources are necessary for sustenance, five things we simply cannot survive without are:
To better understand the influence of these factors on our everyday lives, we’ll be analyzing each one of these variables subsequently.
Why Is Air Important to Our Survival?
The human body can’t sustain itself without air. As such, air is arguably the most important of all human needs.
However, more accurately, air isn’t what our body needs precisely. This is because air is composed of various elements like hydrogen, neon, and even greenhouse gas emissions like carbon dioxide.
The part of air that’s most important to our continued existence is oxygen and it constitutes about 21% of air. The human body demands a constant supply of oxygen for it to function properly.
In the absence of oxygen, the brain enters a state known as cerebral hypoxia. Caused as a result of oxygen deprivation, if it isn’t reversed in as quickly as 5 minutes, blood pressure increases, and brain damage may occur.
If this condition lasts more than 15 minutes, the damage to the brain may become so severe that it’s irreversible and death ensues in most cases.
Why Is Water Important to Our Survival?
Water is one of the many natural resources indispensable to the health and well-being of the human body. 70% of our body is made up of this nonrenewable resource. And, as we go by our everyday lives, we deplete the reserves of it we hold in our bodies. For this reason, we must replenish the water in our body and stay hydrated.
We can lose water through processes like breathing, sweating, and urinating, to mention a few. This lost water is recovered through the food and drinks that we consume.
When the dehydration process is halted and hydration balance can’t be maintained, the body responds almost immediately. This is because less water in our system results in a commensurate reduction in blood cells volume.
And, as the blood gets thicker, it starts to affect the heart rate and blood pressure. With the heart rate reduced, blood cells won’t be able to get to the lower extremities and the fingers and toes start to go numb from here.
The longer the dehydration process goes on, the more pronounced certain symptoms like thirst, dark urine, and headaches become. In the absence of this non-renewable resource, brain function becomes impaired as well and conditions like brain fog occur.
Brain fog presents itself in different ways and can compel people to feel weak, develop problems concentrating or experience bouts of anger and depression.
- ✅Survival Gear for Outdoor Water Needs - If you want to obtain healthy drinking water simply and quickly, you can use this survival gear. The mini and lightweight filtering system are ideal for recreation, hiking, camping. It’s also your good companion for scouting, domestic and international travel, emergency preparedness.
- ✅Portable & Long Life-Span - This straw filtration at only 7.1'' long and 1" in diameter fits any bottle, cup, or glass. It weighs just 2 ounces and fits in the palm of your hand, pocket, gym bag, backpacks, survival packs and purses. Both ends of Upgrade straw filter are removable for cleaning to extend Longer Lifespan ensures it provides up to 5,000 liters (1,320 gallons) of drinking water. You can take it anywhere you want conveniently.
- ✅5-Stage Filtration - Our upgrade 5-Stage Filtration system including coarse filter screen, double layer pp cotton fiber, coconut shell activated carbon and hollow fiber ultrafiltration membranes. which can remove 99.99999% of harmful substances (pollution, odor, chlorine and organic chemicals, etc.) and improve the taste. Ensuring the safest water in the worst environments.
- ✅Smaller Pore Size - We all know that the smaller pore size, the higher the filtering accuracy, Our pore size is 0.1 microns which can filter out 99.99999% of the tiny material. Compared to the 0.2-micron filter straw on the market, Membrane Solutions 0.1microns pore size filter straw maintains the optimum flow rate (500ml/min) while maintaining the filtration accuracy.
Why Is Food Important to Our Survival?
Considering how strongly the body craves starchy foods, sugary foods, and other edibles, the body can survive for long periods of time without this resource.
This is because the body can internally regulate metabolism and energy consumption from varied diet intakes.
Although the human body can last up to 40 days without this renewable resource, that doesn’t mean that the experience will be pleasant.
The body is able to function optimally without the intake of food like white bread or brown breads for up to 8 hours at a stretch. However, after this time frame, blood sugar level becomes depleted as glucose stores are used up.
For the next three days, your body will be able to convert its reserve of amino acids into needed energy. But, beyond this point, if food is still not provided, the human body will start making major changes to preserve its lean tissue.
How soon you get to this point is largely dependent on the type of diet you’re on. People with a balanced diet that contain low-GI foods with adequate cholesterol levels will have reserves that give their body more to work with.
However, if you have a varied diet that comprises starchy foods like white bread, brown breads, and other sugary foods, the effects of food deprivation may take its toll faster and more visibly.
Ultimately, even if you don’t maintain a balanced diet and are more partial to sugary foods, you can stave off the effects of starvation by taking in calories.
- 196 DELICIOUS SERVINGS: Includes family-favorite recipes like Grammy’s Sweet Oatmeal, Fireside Stew and America’s Finest Mac & Cheese. That’s about 6 servings a day for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Each Kit has an average of 38,000 total calories (approx. 1,357 calories per day - you may want or need more+) for energy and nutrients to survive an emergency situation
- DESIGNED TO LAST 25 YEARS: The 4-Week Kit is designed to last 25 years. Storage conditions impact the shelf life of your food. For best results, always protect your food from heat, air and moisture. Avoid prolonged exposure to temps above 75 degrees F. Keep food sealed until ready to eat. Shelf life will vary based on storage conditions.
- “DISASTER-RESISTANT” PACKAGING: Triple-layer Mylar pouches help protect your food. This premium packaging works as a barrier to help protect against things that can harm your food: air, light and moisture. Then we use a high-tech, high-capacity oxygen absorber to suck OUT any excess air. Which seals IN your food’s shelf life.
- TASTE GREAT, NUTRITIOUS & EASY TO PREPARE: Simply add boiling water, simmer and serve. It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. And with meals like Creamy Rice & Vegetable Dinner, Frank's Favorite Alfredo & Buttermilk Pancakes, you'll have a variety of things to try.
Why Is Shelter Important to Our Survival?
People who are well-fed and hydrated can die within only a few hours if they don’t have shelter in certain conditions.
Shelter is a necessary resource for protecting your body from the elements and ensuring that you maintain a constant body temperature. To that end, appropriate clothing and housing are important items on the list of what we need to survive.
The reason shelter is so important is that its presence or absence affects how rapidly the human body loses water. Unlike many members of the animal species, our bodies aren’t equipped to take on the elements directly.
As such, when exposed to extreme cold and windy conditions we quickly lose moisture. The same holds for the human body in hot-temperature areas.
We respond in several ways when unable to maintain a constant body temperature, depending on the cause of the imbalance. If the body can’t build up enough heat to ward off the cold, then hypothermia results. On the other hand, if the body can dissipate heat fast enough, heatstroke takes place.
In the former, the body becomes unable to control internal temperatures properly. In the latter, the central nervous system begins to collapse. The brain overheats and if not tended to, dies.
That being said, the body does have a complex and efficient temperature regulatory system. So, most times, all you need to do is make sure that you don’t expose it to intense stressors and it should be fine.
- Compact Emergency Shelter: The Go Time Gear Life Tent is a weatherproof 2-person tent made from tear and puncture-resistant PET mylar with an interior that reflects 90% of your body heat. You'll stay warm and dry in wind, rain, and snow. Ideal in any backpack while camping and hiking or even a car survival kit.
- Waterproof and Windproof: Our emergency storm shelter weighs just 8.7oz and packs down fast in a 5.25” x 3.25” stuff sack. Our reusable survival kit allows you to escape the elements and winter weather without weighing you down.
- Quick Set-Up: Our thermal emergency tube tent sets up fast between trees. Weigh it down with rocks or gear for extra stability. If no trees are available, wrap it around yourself as an emergency sleeping bag, blanket, bivvy bag, or bivvy sack.
- 120 Decibel Whistle and 20FT Paracord Included: Engineered for emergencies, our Life Tent includes a 120-decibel whistle to alert rescuers up to 1-mile away. The 550lb nylon core Para-Synch drawstring can also be used to tie down or repair gear and backpacking supplies.
Why Is Sleep Important to Our Survival?
When we ask ourselves, what do we need to survive, sleep is one thing that not many people give much thought to. Yet, in terms of ensuring psychological wellbeing and survival, it is almost as important as air.
Severe and constant lack of sleep can lead to a host of health problems that negatively impact our everyday lives.
Lack of sleep for only 24 hours can result in splitting headaches. When this is extended to 72 hours, memory impairment begins to occur and individuals may start to enter a state of distorted reality.
Beyond this, cognitive functions become impaired, hallucinations enter the mix and there’s a marked inability to concentrate and perform even elementary tasks.
The minimum amount of sleep that a person needs to maintain optimal mind and body functionality will often vary throughout life, influenced by factors such as age and level of activity.
- Stay Warm and Alive in Extreme Conditions: The Life Bivy emergency sleeping bag serves as your emergency blanket, survival shelter, and emergency bivy sack all-in-one. Engineered for emergencies and survival, you have the ability to call for help using the 120-decibel survival whistle and the bright orange color alerts rescuers. Perfect for your bug out bag, survival gear, car survival kit, or bug out gear, the Life Bivy is an essential tool to ensure you stay alive in an emergency
- Para-synch Technology Paracord Drawstring & Survival Whistle: The 120-decibel emergency whistle cuts through wind and trees alerting rescuers up to 1-mile away. The 550lb nylon core patent pending Para-Synch Technology drawstring can be used to secure or repair gear, build an emergency shelter, or start a fire. In a survival situation, your tools and skills are the difference between life and death. The Life Bivy's multi-functional stuff sack stacks the deck in your favor
- Extra-thick Tear and Puncture Resistant Material: Your ultra-lightweight emergency bivvy survival sleeping bag is constructed of 26um extra-thick mylar material with a tear and puncture resistant coating so it stands up to extreme conditions. Your Life Bivy is durable enough for repeated uses so it can be folded up and placed back inside the waterproof Nylon stuff sack for your next adventure
- Protection Against Rain, Wind, & Snow: Your waterproof and windproof survival bivvy bag is made of extra-thick tear & puncture resistant polyethylene material with sealed seams locking out harsh weather to cover & protect you in the worst conditions. The reflective interior of the Life Bivy emergency sleeping bag protects you from extreme cold and keeps you warm by reflecting 90% of your body heat back to you
Why Is Self-Defense Important to Our Survival?
For all our evolution and advancement, the world can seem like a dog-eat-dog place sometimes. As such, even if you’re able to get all the previously-discussed needs, if you don’t add an element of self-defense to that mix, your survival isn’t assured.
So, it always helps to pick up self-defense skills and hone your instincts.
- DIMENSIONS: 7.1 inch (18 cm) overall length with a blade length of 3.1 inches (7.9 cm) and a weight of 3.5 ounces
- DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable 7Cr17MoV Black Oxide High Carbon Stainless Steel with a black, aluminum handle
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient pocket clip, finger flipper and ambidextrous thumb knobs making it ideal for everyday carry
- SECURE: Have confidence that the blade will not slip with the security of the liner lock
Answering the question, what do we need to survive can be a very complex affair. However, the fact that conscious thought is put into this effort helps us not just survive, but also thrive.
Do you want to learn how to be prepared in the face of any eventuality? Join our community, meet like-minded people and pick up life-saving skills here!