A tactical walking stick is the ideal accessory for anyone who hikes, camps, fishes, or otherwise enjoys outdoor recreation. Part trekking pole, part multi-function tool, tactical walking sticks allow you to keep your most essential tools and weapons at hand so you’re prepared for whatever emergency you may encounter in the wild.
Tactical walking sticks are made of several connecting segments designed to store gear and accessories. These segments can be adjusted to create a staff with the correct size, weight, and utility for your outdoor needs. With a tactical walking stick, you can keep all essential tools at hand wherever you wander.
In this article, we’ll discuss what a tactical walking stick is and how to choose the right stick for your needs. We’ll also give you our top 3 tactical walking stick picks that are currently available on Amazon.
In a Hurry? Here Are Our Top Picks
Table of Contents
- What is a Tactical Walking Stick?
- Choosing the Right Tactical Walking Stick
- Top 3 Tactical Walking Sticks
- Final Thoughts
What is a Tactical Walking Stick?
A tactical walking stick is part trekking pole and part multi-tool. It can act as a weapon in itself, but also allows you to keep the most important tools and weapons that you may need in the wild conveniently at hand. Tactical walking sticks are the ultimate survival tool, and they can be customized to fit your specific needs.
A tactical walking stick is built out of multiple hollow sections that are made of either steel or aluminum. Each section is made to store or conceal a different essential tool, including the following common options:
- Fire starter
- Fish scaler
- Can and bottle opener
- Hex wrenches
- Glass Breaker
Together, the sections create a sturdy trekking pole that can assist in balance, stability, and reach. Sections can be added or removed as desired to fit your needs as well as to adjust the overall length of the staff.
Choosing the Right Tactical Walking Stick
To choose the right tactical walking stick, consider how you plan to use it. Are you more concerned with self-defense while hiking, or do you want a utilitarian tool that will be useful in many outdoor scenarios? The features of tactical walking sticks vary, and their size, weight, and material make will affect how a stick can be maneuvered.
Choose Which Tools are Necessary
Tactical walking sticks come with a number of tool options, but you may not need or want all of them on every outing. The included tools will vary by brand and style, and sticks are often priced according to how many segments you’d like to include.
Before purchasing a new tactical stick, think about which tools you foresee using. Avid fishermen may want to keep a fish scaler and harpoon handy, while those who enjoy backpacking may need a stick that comes with a saw or blade.
Choose a Size and Weight That You are Comfortable Using
Tactical walking sticks are commonly made of aluminum, while the included tools could be made of aluminum or steel. Although steel products tend to be stronger and longer lasting, they can also be noticeably heavier. A heavier stick requires more strength to maneuver and has the potential to become tiresome on long treks.
The dedicated outdoor enthusiasts who wants a reliable stick that will hold up in the face of an animal attack or other emergency situation could find the additional weight and durability preferable. On the other hand, those who prioritize comfort and ease of use may enjoy carrying a more light-weight, all-aluminum tactical walking stick instead.
When considering the build of your tactical stick, take into account not only the length of the pole, but also the size and shape of the grip. You’ll want to include the right number of sections for the stick to be comfortable to hold and maneuver. Be sure that the stick feels natural to walk with and that you have a firm and comfortable hold.
Top 3 Tactical Walking Sticks
Tactical walking sticks come in many varieties and choosing the right one will depend on your needs and your budget. Below are our top three tactical walking stick picks for every need.
- The Winsper Multifunctional Folding Trekking Pole is a great all-around tool that is built to perform. Not only is it fully equipped with accessories, but it’s also built out of durable and scratch resistant aero-grade aluminum.
- This tactical walking stick comes with three types of heads. These include a shock-absorbing tungsten carbide tip, a spearhead, and a rubber anti-slip trekking pole tip. This tactical pole is also equipped with a whistle, a compass, and a multifunction too.
- This tactical walking stick has good bearing performance and is built to withstand all weather conditions. On top of that, the bamboo design of this walking stick makes it an attractive piece. Easy to store and use, the Winsper Multifunctional Folding trekking Pole possesses the ideal balance of beauty and utility.
- The IUNIO Survival Off-Roading Tool Kit has everything you could possibly need in an emergency with a sturdy enough build to get you through any project or encounter. Although this is technically an entire tactical kit, it’s unique in that it comes with a trekking pole attachment and can be configured into a tactical stick.
- A trekking pole attachment is one of five tool head attachments to choose from, the others being a shovel, hatchet, pickaxe, and ice pick. All tools are military grade quality. They are made of steel that is durable, waterproof, anti-rust.
- Although not all tool head attachments can be stored on the stick, the kit comes with a convenient mole storage bag that can be kept in a backpack or car. The segments of this tactical stick can be adjusted for length, and each hollow segment has space for small accessories such as first aid kit components, fishing gear, and other survival equipment.
- This tool kit makes for a useful tactical trekking stick, but it’s much more than that. With both high-carbon steel and premium aluminum alloy components, this stick is sturdy enough to handle each attachment. The kit weighs a total of 6.7 pounds, but by keeping the heavier attachments separate, the walking stick will be of a comparable weight to other aluminum poles.
Other tools featured in this survival stick include:
- Multifunction knife
- Multifunction fork
- “+ -” screwdriver
- 13 ft. string
- Phone stand
- Optional mud basket to prevent the pole from sinking into soft terrain
A tactical walking stick is the best multifunctional tool for outdoor recreation. Not only does it serve as a trekking pole and self-defense weapon, but it also conveniently stores your most essential survival gear. With a tactical walking stick in hand, you’ll be prepared for whatever you may encounter in the wild.