Nobody likes to deal with power outages, especially when it comes unexpectedly, without prior announcements, or lasts for hours or days. While daylight might be a little comforting with natural visibility, nighttime isn’t so forgiving.
Not only do you need light to light up your home at night to prevent accidents and other hazards, but a power failure night light could also be used to ensure the whereabouts of your family or necessities in the event of a natural disaster or emergency.
There are different types of night lights suitable for different scenarios, such as plug-ins and tabletops. They also come in different shapes, designs, and sizes. The power outage light device is available in several models and differs by feature.
While prices vary across brands and features, most nightlights are easily affordable. After extensive market research, we’ve put together our list for the best power failure night light options available today!
In A Hurry? Here Are Our Top Picks!
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Power Failure Night Light
- Benefits of Using a Power Failure Night Light
- Tips on How to Use Nightlights
- Features to Consider in The Best Power Failure Night Light
- FAQs About Power Failure Night Lights
Top 5 Best Power Failure Night Light
1. Westek Emergency Light
- These multi-function devices are a 3-in-1 LED night light, power failure light and portable flashlight. Never be left in the dark during a power failure. Includes 2 devices with battery backup
- The bottom of the device lights up as an automatic dusk to dawn bright nightlight when plugged into an outlet. It casts a warm, 3 lumen light in your home and is an ideal baby night light. Keep the device plugged in to allow the batteries to store power for emergency lighting
- The front panel automatically lights when the power failure sensor is activated. The rechargeable battery powers a bright 40 lumen hurricane lantern that helps you to navigate your bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen and entryways in the dark
- Remove the plug in flashlight from the outlet, fold in the prongs and you have a fully charged, handheld 20 lumen flashlight. The strong beam lights a pathway in the dark
This multi-functional emergency light is a 3-in-1 LED lighting solution for unexpected power outages. This portable flashlight is powered by batteries that require prior electricity to charge.
The three multi-functions on this device include a power outage light feature, a night light feature, and an emergency light feature. For the power outage light feature, the front panel houses a power failure sensor that’s activated as soon as a blackout occurs.
It also has a 40-lumen light which is powered by rechargeable batteries to beam light into your home.
The rechargeable night light feature utilizes 3 subtle lumen lantern lights emitted from the bottom of the flashlight when it’s plugged into an outlet. It’s an ideal nursery night light or for an early morning light as it’s gentle on the eyes but bright enough to illuminate an area.
The emergency light feature comes on when you disconnect the flashlight from its power source and fold in the charger’s plug. Once the flashlight is fully charged, a 20-lumen lantern flashlight comes on to illuminate your path.
The Westek emergency night light is powered by a 3.6v 200mA Ni-MH rechargeable battery to serve you optimally during blackouts.
Designed for both day and night use and as a light backup for power outages, this best power failure night light is a must-have for any home, especially as an important part of your stormy weather or hurricane supplies.
Featuring a lightweight design, this portable flashlight is a great backup light option for blizzards, hurricanes, or thunderstorms.
- Value for money
- Portable flashlight
- Foldable plug
- Extensive battery life
- Blackout detection
- Value for money
- We wish the battery capacity was larger
2. Energizer 4-in-1 LED Power Failure Night Light
- Night light, power failure light, tabletop light and emergency flashlight
- Night light turns on at night and off in the morning
- Long lasting and energy efficient, with no bulbs to replace
- Features rechargeable battery that charges while the light is plugged into an accessible outlet
The slim design Energizer 4-in-1 LED night light is all you need for an emergency night light. This rechargeable light is powered by rechargeable batteries that charge when plugged into an electrical outlet.
Equipped with light-sensing technology, this flashlight automatically comes on at night and goes off as soon as it’s daybreak. This also means you can keep them plugged in without worry as they’re energy efficient.
Designed for regular household use, the flashlight function of this emergency night light is effective anywhere you go. The 4 features in this pack include an emergency flashlight, a tabletop light, a power failure light, and a night sensing light.
It also comes on reliably during a power outage. Strong LED tech means you don’t have to worry about bulb burnout or replacements, and its charger plug is foldable when it’s not in use. The multi-purpose value it offers at such an affordable price makes it a good bargain.
- Light-sensing technology
- Multi-purpose light
- Ambient light
- Durability issues
- Short battery life
3. GE 4-in-1 Power Failure LED Night Light
- This 4-In-1 power failure night light serves as a light-sensing night light, power failure light, task light and emergency flashlight
- There are no bulbs to replace and the LED provides 40 lumens of soft white light when used as a portable emergency flashlight and 5 lumens when used as night light/table top light
- The built-in light sensor automatically turns the LED night light on at dusk and off at dawn; comes on instantly when power goes off
- There is a manual Hi/Low/Off switch to easily switch between lighting, a foldable plug for easy storage/travel, and 3 AA batteries are included for up to 250 hours of battery life
The GE night light is a multi-purpose handheld 4-in-1 light that’s perfect for emergencies, use as a table light, a regular night light, or as an unexpected power outage flashlight. Its sleek design allows for a handy feel when used as a flashlight.
The night light or tabletop light is a soft warm light provided by 5 lumens. This switches up to 40 lumens of white light when it’s required as an emergency flashlight.
A Hi/Low/Off switch gives you easy control over the light modes. This handheld light is powered by 3 AA batteries that can last up to 250 hours of light when it’s set to low. This device would improve the light condition of your house in the absence of power on a dark night.
A built-in dusk to dawn light sensor controls the lighting and lowers energy consumption, while the automatic night light during power outages provides an optimal lighting source to avoid mishaps and accidents.
- Light motion sensor
- Extensive battery life
- Multi-function LED power failure light
- Brightness control
- Value for money
- Batteries included
- limited warranty
4. GE, 45034 Power Failure LED Night Light
- When plugged into an outlet, use the switch to change the setting from ON to OFF or use AUTO which turns the light on at dusk and off at dawn automatically
- If the power goes out while plugged in, this light will turn on automatically at a low light setting, allowing you to find it quickly in the event of an emergency
- Unplug the night light to use it as a portable flashlight with 2 light levels; foldable plug for comfortable handheld use
- Features rechargeable battery (non-replaceable) that charges while the light is plugged in to an available outlet. UL-Listed for peace of mind.
This sensor flashlight GE 45034 night light is perfect for unexpected blackouts. The inbuilt light sensor automatically comes on as soon as a power outage occurs at a soft low light setting.
This lights up your house and subsequently allows you to find your flashlight without injuries or accidents.
Controlled by a manual 3 option setting, you can switch between the On/Off/Auto feature of soft night light, bright flashlight, and power failure night light.
You can also choose your desired setting when the flashlight is plugged in to charge. This also controls if the night light should automatically follow the dusk to dawn sensor to save energy costs.
This portable flashlight is powered by non-replaceable and rechargeable batteries. An extra feature included in this model is that the light isn’t dimmable.
- Fold-in plug
- Motion sensor
- Portable nightlights
- Rechargeable power outage light
- Heats up during charging
5. Westinghouse 3-Pack 4-in-1 Power Failure Night Light
- A handy companion to have during power outages, or simply as a night light for daily use, the Westinghouse rechargeable emergency light is designed with three settings to choose from — auto-dimming, motion sensing, and off mode.
- You can keep your energy costs down with this power failure night light as it automatically turns the unit on at dusk and off at dawn through an advanced light sensing technology; It can also automatically activate in low light conditions when movement is detected
- Constantly delivering a soft white color with no glare, this emergency night light doesn’t require batteries to power up, instead each unit feature a rechargeable battery that powers up while plugged into any standard outlet.
- Not just for power outages, you can use this as a table-top light, a simple night light, or a flashlight by removing the unit from the outlet and folding the plug in for convenient portable use. The Westinghouse power failure night light is safe to use indoors for your bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, garage, hallways, and more.
The Westinghouse power failure night light is a multi-functional LED power failure light that features an alert light and motion sensor technology. This feature allows the flashlight to come on in dimly lit areas when it detects movement or dusk, and will turn itself off at dawn through the use of a light sensor.
Covered by a one-year warranty, this flashlight doesn’t require the use of batteries to function. Instead, it’s powered by its rechargeable batteries as soon as it’s plugged into a power outlet. The night light mode is a warm white color that’s gentle on the eyes and safe for indoor use. It can also double as a table light and power failure night light.
The Westinghouse night light also offers the option to toggle between the auto-dimming, motion sensing, and off mode functions. A portable design means it’s handy enough for emergencies such as an unexpected power outage.
- Motion sensor
- Easy installation process
- Long hours of battery life
- Quite pricey
Benefits of Using a Power Failure Night Light
Nightlights help illuminate dark or clustered areas. They’re perfect for stairwells, laundry rooms, or as a table light. They’re also great for supplying your house with a beam of light during blackouts.
For adults and kids who have suffered darkness-related trauma or who struggle with anxiety issues, a durable design night light can warmly illuminate their space enough to relax their nerves without affecting their eyes or disturbing their sleep — even during thunderstorms.
A convenient plug-in design nightlight is helpful in subtly illuminating a room. With better vision, you can avoid injuries and other bodily harm. This is also an added benefit for people who are at the risk of stumbling, people who suffer from vision problems, or the elderly.
A nightlight is an important addition for people who enjoy late-night reading, and especially for those who share their rooms or living space with other people. A compact design night light is a good option in these cases.
Tips on How to Use Nightlights
The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors has outlined the following concerns and safety tips when it comes to the household use of nightlights:
Nightlights can generate heat, especially for models with CFL bulbs that, when close to flammable materials, can cause them to catch fire.
These tips can help to reduce the fire risk:
- Keep the nightlight away from flammable materials, bedposts, or combustible surfaces
- Never attempt to cover the nightlight with flammable material
- Make use of low-wattage bulbs that don’t conduct a lot of heat
Nightlights should never be used outdoors in the rain, as they may cause electric shock. The use of nightlights should be avoided in damp areas such as on the patio, near the bath or hot tub, or in the garage.
Nightlights that are plugged into electricity pose an even bigger threat of electrical shocks. It’s advised that you place power failure night lights out of childrens’ reach.
Some nightlights contain toxic internal materials that should not be inhaled or gotten on the skin. These toxic materials are often used as paint strippers and are very harmful to human health.
For nightlights that contain such toxic chemicals, they should be disposed of safely when broken.
Features to Consider in The Best Power Failure Night Light
There are several types of bulb types used for nightlights. Examples of these bulbs include CFL, Halogen, and LED bulbs. While some of these bulbs are cheap, other factors such as energy consumption, heat generation, and burn risks should be considered.
LED bulbs are the safest bulb options for a nightlight. Though they can be a bit on the pricey side.
Most nightlights are generally inexpensive so making a price decision is down to your pre-planned budget.
When it comes to the best power failure night light, you get what you pay for. The cheaper it costs, the less durable it will turn out to be. The warranty period is also a hint at how long some of these models are expected to last.
Nightlights with motion sensors and light-sensing technology is the best option for regular household use. They don’t consume a lot of energy and they save you the stress of manual controls.
Automatic dusk to dawn sensors on the night light means they can come on and off in tune with the natural light changes.
FAQs About Power Failure Night Lights
Some common questions and answers when it comes to using night lights.
Q: Is it Safe to Leave a Night Light on All Night?
A: Night lights are generally very safe to leave on all night, given that they last the entire night without a power source, as long as you follow the instructions included in the manual and apply general sensible precautions.
LED lights don’t generate heat or pose a risk of burns, making them some of the best options for general household use.
Q: Can Night Lights Cause Fires?
A: Generally, night lights won’t lead to fires, however, heat-generating bulbs or defective night lights can cause fires, burns, and electric shock.
Q: What Night Light Color is The Best?
A: Red and soft white lights don’t affect your vision, making them the best colors to use in the bedroom and sleeping quarters.
The importance of light cannot be overemphasized and as such, every step taken to ensure that our homes are never without light is always a good one. Nightlights are multi-function devices that can ensure that basic safety and security requirements are met.
While there are several best power failure night light options, warm white or bright white light that can effectively illuminate your home remains the best option, especially during blackouts.
Check out other hacks for survival on our site.