Chlorine tablets help remove bacteria and other harmful particles that can collect in water. The best chlorine tablets will ensure that water is sanitary and safe for a person to drink.
Not all forms of chlorines work in the same way, and this article will provide a review on which ones are best for you when disinfecting drinking water.
Our Top Picks for Best Chlorine Tablets for Drinking
Our top-rated chlorine tablets that are effective for purifying water are as follows:
Table of Contents
- Our Top Picks for Best Chlorine Tablets for Drinking
- Review of Best Chlorine Tablets From Research
- Buyer’s Guide For Best Chlorine Tablet for Drinking
- FAQs For Best Chlorine Tablets
- Are Chlorine Tablets Safe for Drinking Water?
- Which Chlorine is Best for Drinking Water?
- What Dosage Should I Use?
- What is the Shelf Life of Chlorine Tablets?
- How Long Does Chlorine Stay in the Water?
- Is Chlorine Only Used for Drinking Water?
- What is the Difference Between Drinking Water Chlorine and Pool Chlorine?
- Do Chlorine Tablets Make Water Taste Bad?
- How do I Store Chlorine Tablets?
- How Much Chlorine Do I Need for 1000 Litres?
- Which is Better: Iodine or Chlorine?
- Do Chlorine Tablets Keep the Water Clear?
- Are Aquatabs Bad For You?
- Can we drink chlorinated water?
- What Are the Disadvantages of Chlorine?
- What Are the Side Effects of Excessive Chlorine?
- Best Brands
- Final Thoughts
Review of Best Chlorine Tablets From Research
Overall best chlorine tablets
- Twin pack of 50 Potable Aqua Germicidal Water Treatment Tablets.
- Unlike original iodine tablets from long ago, Potable Aqua is made with Tetraglycine hydroperiodide. Prefer to use a simpler salt brine solution, look for our PA PURE device.
- Potable Aqua emergency water purification tablets for drinking water are effective against Giardia lamblia when used as directed.
- Travel water purification treatment for drinking water offers purification for hiking, international travel, natural disasters, emergency survival kit and camping gear.
- Water treatment used by military and emergency organizations worldwide and are ideal water purification tablets to keep with camping accessories.
The Aqua Chlorine Tablets are considered the best chlorine tablets for purifying drinking water. The product is easy to use and protects against microorganisms such as Giardia lamblia. It is also highly recommended for emergency and military organizations worldwide.
Keep it stored for water emergencies or when you are hiking, traveling, or carrying outdoor gear.
The pack of 50 tablets is ideal when you need to purify water for drinking or cooking.
- Easy to use and is effective against Giardia lamblia when used as directed
- It comes in a twin pack of 50 Potable Aqua Germicidal Water Treatment Tablets that do not contain any form of iodine, so you won’t end up consuming any chemicals
- Easy to store for drinking water emergencies or when you are on trekking, hiking, international travel, natural disasters, emergency survival kit, and camping gear
- The pack of 50 tablets is ideal to purify larger quantities of water for drinking or cooking
- Not meant for filtering sediment, chemicals, heavy metals, or viruses
Best for large quantities of water
- One pack of 30 Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Tablets for Drinking.
- Water purification tablets are effective against bacteria, viruses and cysts, such as Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium.
- Water purification tabs offer water treatment for drinking water for hiking, traveling and emergency preparedness situations, and are an ideal camping accessory to keep with camping gear and your emergency survival kit.
- Drinking water treatment tablets take 4 hours to purify one quart (one liter) of water for emergency water purification.
- Travel water purification tablets with 2.6 times the oxidizing capacity of chlorine.
The Potable Aqua Water Purification Tablets (50 Tablets) is the second overall best chlorine product from our research. It takes a different approach to water purification and works by releasing pure chlorine dioxide into the water making. The product does not contain iodine, chlorate, or halogens.
It is effective against Cryptosporidium, Giardia, and bacteria within just 30 minutes. It can destroy stubborn, foul odors and tastes in your drinking water, and is easy to use by just dropping the tablets into a collapsible water bottle or any container of choice.
The chemical reaction will turn the water into a clear state with no residual chlorine taste or smell. With 2.6 times the oxidizing power of chlorine, it takes 4 hours to purify one liter of water.
- Effective against Cryptosporidium, Giardia, and bacteria within just 30 minutes
- It can destroy stubborn, foul odors and tastes in your drinking water
- It is great for purifying gallons of water
- Limited storage after opening, except when resealed and stored properly
Most portable and easy to use chlorine tablets
- Our Purification formula is widely used by Disaster relief agencies world wide. Extremely cost effective, small, light weight, compact & easy to use. Safe to handle and store. No measuring required because it is in tablet format. No spillages or leaks. Water purifying tablets offer purification for camping, hiking, international travel, natural disasters and emergency preparedness.
- Portable water treatment tablets used by military and emergency organizations worldwide and are ideal as backpacking water purification tablets. Extremely cost effective, small, light weight, compact & easy to use.
- The tablets are small and easily fit into camping backpacks, emergency preparedness kits, and disaster relief packs. Helps improve water taste and clarity. No aftertaste improves the taste and odor of water. Fast acting and water is ready to drink 30 minutes after mixing.
- Can be used in water that has been boiled or purified using filter, gadgets, RO Systems & equipment to provide ongoing protection against recontamination. Saves energy, fuel and is environmental friendly. No maintenance, replacement hassle & expense.
- Does not need running water, candle, electricity, filtration membrane or ultraviolet light like other water purification systems. Just drop one tablet in water and use or consume the water as desired. Reliable way to produce safe drinking water with an excellent shelf life of 3 years.
Due to its portability and ease of use, the F-Chlor Water Purification Treatment is great for camping, hiking, international travel, natural disasters, and emergency preparedness.
The product comes in individual 17 mg chlorine tablets that work against Giardia, E. coli, Cryptosporidium, and other bacterias.
The tablets are free of any odor or substances that may alter the taste of water, making them easy to use for purification. Just throw a tablet into your bottle/container and wait for 30 minutes to ensure that your water is safe to drink.
The pack comes with 100 tablets that can be easily stored in a cool, dry place, especially when you need to purify large quantities of water.
- Small and lightweight and takes up little space
- Compact and easy to use
- Safe to handle and store
- Shelf life is not as long as other products
Best for preppers
- Turns dirty, contaminated water into fresh, clean, drinkable water. P&G Purifier of Water Packets are highly effective and is registered as a disinfect by the EPA and removes 99.9999% of commonly found bacteria, and 99.99% of viruses.
- A portable water treatment system that you can take anywhere. Treat dirty water anywhere in the world when outdoors, camping, or traveling to remote countries where poor water treatment facilities exist.
- Never worry about bringing enough water on your next adventure. Water is critical to survival but it’s heavy to carry. These small lightweight travel packets are the ultimate survival water treatment with a 3-year shelf life – current exp. Oct 2023.
- Clean, drinkable water that tastes good. A unique formula works by a combination of flocculation and disinfection. It eliminates waterborne bacteria and other pollutants and is eco friendly.
- Water purification in just 30 minutes. With just one packet you can treat 2.5 gallons or 10 liters of water and watch the powder take effect, making clean, and drinkable water.
The P&G Purifier of Water is perfect for preppers or survivalists. It works best in a potable water supply with a combination of chlorine dioxide and silver ions, purifying your water from harmful bacteria, viruses, and cysts.
The portable powder packet works by flocculation and disinfection. It destroys waterborne microbes as well as other pollutants without impacting the environment. With only one packet, you can purify 2.5 gallons or 10 liters of water in just 30 minutes
- her pollutants
- Destroys waterborne microbes and other pollutants
- Takes 10 minutes to purify 10 liters of 2.5 gallons of water
- It comes in a powder form, so measuring it can be quite difficult
- Has a little bit of aftertaste
Best for two-step water treatment
- Drinking water tablets.
- One tablet will disinfect approximately 1 quart of water.
- Great to have on hand while hiking or camping.
The Coghlan’s Drinking Water Tablets are great for both personal and outdoor use. This is an iodine-based compound that, is effective against Giardia, Cryptosporidium, and other water-borne bacterias.
It comes in two options: a germicidal tablet or water taste neutralizer tablets. The germicidal tablet is perfect for killing microorganisms while the water neutralizes iodine taste and colors. It takes 90 minutes to purify one liter of water and has 2 times more oxidizing power than chlorine tablets.
- Light and compact
- Great for both personal and outdoor use
- It neutralizes the iodine taste of water
- It can be time-consuming to prepare
Buyer’s Guide For Best Chlorine Tablet for Drinking
The best way to purify water is by boiling it if you live near a source of heat. If not, we recommend chlorine tablets. Chlorine is used to kill the bacteria and other microorganisms that may be in the water, so don’t forget to carry at least one chlorine tablet with you when you’re hiking or backpacking.
If you are looking to buy a chlorine tablet, here are the factors to consider:
Amount per Tablet, or Parts Per Million (PPM)
A general rule of thumb is two tablets for every liter of water, but the amount can vary depending on what you’re using it for, and how many people are drinking. Make sure to check the amount before buying a package of chlorine tablets.
Chlorine Tablet Size
Some chlorine tablets come in large sizes, which you can break down into smaller pieces. If you’re hiking or backpacking, try to find tablets that are light and easy to carry around.
You can find chlorine tablets in liquid form as well. Some people prefer the solid because they are easier to use, while others may opt for pouring the liquid form.
If you’re using chlorine tablets, make sure to store them in a cool place – don’t put them anywhere where they could get wet or moist! Check that the lid is tightly closed so no bugs can get inside your tablet container.
Brand Name & History
You should only buy chlorine tablets from a trusted company that guarantees good quality products.
Lastly, set a budget. Chlorine is pretty common so there are tons of brands to choose from and with different price points. Go for something affordable, especially if you are new to using them.
Did you know that some water purification tablets are only effective against bacteria, while others also kill viruses? Make sure to buy the right kind of chlorine tablet for your needs.
Tablets vs Drops
You can choose between using chlorine tablets or drops. Some people prefer tablets because they’re easier to use and require little to no mixing, but other people prefer drops because they’re lighter and more compact.
If you live near a source of clean water, then you don’t have to worry about purifying it before drinking. But if you’re hiking or backpacking, chlorine tablets are a must! They kill the microorganisms and allow you to drink water safely.
Carry Them in a Plastic Bag
If you’re using chlorine tablets, make sure to carry them in a resealable plastic bag, so they are protected against moisture and other contaminants. In addition, if they accidentally get smashed or broken, the tablets won’t mix with your dry foods.
FAQs For Best Chlorine Tablets
Are Chlorine Tablets Safe for Drinking Water?
Chlorine tablets are safe for drinking water and they’re one of the most popular methods to purify water from home. Remember to watch the chlorine levels, because they can irritate your throat and stomach.
Some people prefer liquid chlorine tablets because it’s easier to carry around when going on a hiking or backpacking trip. Do not store them in a humid environment, keep them closed up tightly, and remember to read the expiration date each time before using a new batch!
Which Chlorine is Best for Drinking Water?
When it comes to chlorine, you want to buy tablets with both sodium hypochlorite and calcium hypochlorite. This is the safest type of tablet for drinking water, as it stops both bacteria and viruses in their tracks. Avoid unstabilized chlorine tablets.
What Dosage Should I Use?
All you need is two tablets per liter of water. Do not use too many tablets, because it can irritate your throat and stomach.
What is the Shelf Life of Chlorine Tablets?
Chlorine tablets have a shelf life of about 6 months when stored at room temperature. After this time, they usually start to discolor or lose their effectiveness. Make sure you check for an expiration date before using a new batch.
How Long Does Chlorine Stay in the Water?
It takes about 30 minutes to disinfect a liter of water with chlorine tablets. Just make sure not to store it for too long, and if you’re using the water for cooking or drinking then wait at least an hour before consuming any water that has been purified. Also, remember that chlorine only kills the microorganisms in the water, so you should still boil or filter it before drinking.
Is Chlorine Only Used for Drinking Water?
Chlorine can be used for more than just drinking water.
For instance, chlorine tabs can also be used to keep a swimming pool clean. Automatic chlorine dispensers can be used for the release of granular chlorine and maintaining the chemical balance of gallons of pool water.
Pool size is a major determinant as to what level of chlorine or extra chemicals should be added to a body of water. Larger pools will require greater amounts of chlorine concentration and a greater level of distribution of chlorine.
The release of swimming pool chlorinating tablets into the swimming pool water helps to achieve chemical stability and long-lasting protection. An adequate dose of chlorine also provides close to maximum safety against the growth of bacteria and the growth of algae.
What is the Difference Between Drinking Water Chlorine and Pool Chlorine?
Chlorine tablets are used to purify drinking water while pool chlorine tablets are engineered specifically to circulate in outdoor pools. Pool tablets are often 3-inch tablets or liquid chlorine paired with pool skimmers and filters. Tablets are generally better than liquid chlorine for pool waters because of chlorine loss, although unstabilized chlorine tablets degrade faster and are better for an indoor pool.
Do Chlorine Tablets Make Water Taste Bad?
You can minimize the chlorine smell and taste by using a couple of drops of lemon juice, which helps to balance out the flavor. When purifying your water, make sure to use a clean bottle, otherwise, it can mix with the smell of chlorine.
How do I Store Chlorine Tablets?
Always store your chlorine tablets in a plastic bag or other airtight containers. If you don’t, moisture and other contaminants may get into the bottle, which can ruin them before their expiration date. It’s also important that you keep them out of the sun or any other heat source, or they can break down even faster.
How Much Chlorine Do I Need for 1000 Litres?
You need about 1.5 kilos of chlorine for 1000 Litre, but it depends on the quality of the tablets you’re using! Make sure to check the user manual that comes with your specific brand before buying or preparing them for drinking water.
Which is Better: Iodine or Chlorine?
Both iodine and chlorine are effective in purifying water, but iodine is better at killing viruses. Chlorine only kills the bacteria in your water, which means you should also boil it before consumption or use a carbon filter to get rid of any potential viruses.
Do Chlorine Tablets Keep the Water Clear?
No, you won’t be able to keep the water clear with chlorine tablets. The best way to purify your water is by boiling it before consumption, but if you don’t have the time then using a carbon filter will also remove any contaminants.
Are Aquatabs Bad For You?
There have been no known side effects from using Aquatabs, but it’s always a good idea to consult your doctor before taking any new medication. They’re also only designed to kill bacteria and viruses, so you should still boil or filter the water before consumption.
Can we drink chlorinated water?
Yes, you can drink chlorinated water.
What Are the Disadvantages of Chlorine?
Chlorine has the potential to discolor clothing and has a strong smell that can irritate your throat and stomach. If you plan on using chlorine tablets for water purification, use them in moderation and store all of the filtered or purified water in a clean container.
What Are the Side Effects of Excessive Chlorine?
Too much chlorine in your body can lead to nausea and vomiting, which is why you must always practice moderation when using chlorine tablets for water purification.
Potable Aqua chlorine tablets are made with potassium, which makes them more effective at killing viruses. They’re also designed to be tasteless and odorless, so you can enjoy your purified water without any unpleasant taste or smell.
Ef-Chlor tablets use calcium hypochlorite to kill bacteria and viruses in your water. They also contain no iodine or sugar, so you won’t have to worry about any unpleasant flavors mixing with the chlorine aftertaste.
P&G Purifier of Water
P&G Purifier of Water makes great chlorine tablets that are effective against both viruses and bacteria. They also have a crisp, clean taste that many other brands don’t.
Coghlan’s Drinking Water Tablet
Coghlan’s is known for making excellent water purification tablets, including chlorine ones. They are effective against bacteria and viruses and do not leave any chemicals or strong aftertaste behind.
Chlorine tablets are great for killing microorganisms in water. These tablets are designed to have a high concentration of chlorine, so it’s best not to take them regularly if you plan on drinking purified or treated water regularly. Make sure to only use the recommended amount and always boil or filter your purified water before consumption!If you want to learn more on the best ways to purify your water, learn the best water filtration tools or how to start a fire in the wild here.